Thursday, September 25, 2008

Graceful Sun Salutations and the Perfect Posture

I watched an online video on the Sun Salutation on the http://www.jogajournal.com/ site (http://www.yogajournal.com/video/learnposes/?bctid=1483914421 by Natasha Rizopoulos) the other day, and it showed ma a bit about how to do the transitions from pose to pose. I've read that the sun salutation should be done in such a way that the transitions themselves become part of the pose. I didn't quite understand that, and have been studying online videos of people doing it.

In the Natasha Rizopoulos video, I can see a couple of things which are interesting:

  1. She spends a quiet moment initially in mountain pose before beginning the routine.
  2. She brings her arms around when going from upright to down, and from down back to upright
  3. When she moves to and from the lunges, she hovers her leg in the air before actually placing it in the new position
  4. She begins her Downward Facing Dog on her toes (thereby keeping them in the exact same position as they are in the post just preceding) for a brief moment before lowering her heels into the full Downward Facing Dog

I've been attempting to mimic her style, and I'm feeling a lot more of the graceful flow that I think I should be feeling.

Yesterday when walking to my car after work I thought about what I wrote about curving my upper back when walking or standing, and that's not exactly correct. I don't actually curve it. I think the right term may be that I reposition it.

The finding of one's perfect posture seems to be such a complicated and introspective task. I'm constantly studying different holistic methods of posture and coming up with revelations. Hopefully with each new revelation, I edge closer to something that will hopefully become my perfect posture.