Monday, January 26, 2009

Taking off the Blinders

I read this recent post by a friend this morning: 
 
We can spend our lives thinking about the "if only"'s, or we can look at the here and now and with the tools we have, ask ourselves "how can I live my life today so that I can be the best that I can be and leave the world a better place for my having lived in it?"
 
As far as I've been able to tell, only the latter view of life will gain you happiness.  Anything less destroys any hope of your life having any meaning.
 
Another friend posted a link to a dramatic video this morning:  http://www.maniacworld.com/are-you-going-to-finish-strong.html .  I love this video, because it so beautifully points out that life is not at all about being the "ideal" physical human being, if there ever were such a thing -- nor having all of the things laid before you that society swears are prerequisites to living a full and happy life.  It's about remaining focused on doing what you need to do, in spite of what everyone else tells you you can and cannot do, to realize your dreams and goals.
 
Is it possible to even imagine what magic the collective human race would be able to achieve if we all were able to take off our blinders and see this incredible potential?
 
I thank my friends for opening my eyes today.