Sunday, January 25, 2009

Moving my yoga to the next level

My yoga practice is at a plateau and needs to progress to another level, I think.  Last night I did lesson 2 of week 6, and I realized that lately I feel bored with my "Moving Toward Balance 8 Weeks with Rodney Yee" lessons.  The props are tedious to set up and I feel like spending an entire week working on just one thing is not working for me any more.  I've already been through the book a couple of times, so I think that I am ready to jump to week 8 and begin cycling through it for my daily practice.  The last time I did week 8, I felt that it was too much -- each day takes at least an hour -- and some of the poses I felt I needed more practice on.  But now, I believe that I might be ready to do that.  If I can't do an hour every day, then I will work on trying to figure out how to whittle down the 8-week lessons into briefer sessions.  That way I can get my inversions into every days practice as well.
 
I think the Power Yoga with Rodney Yee has done wonders in bringing me to this point.  I will continue to do what I'm currently doing which is doing the Power Yoga DvD every morning and then lay aside at least 20 minutes for yoga/tai chi work in the evenings.
 
I do a handstand every morning before starting the Power Yoga DvD.  I'm still doing about 25 seconds and not much more.  Even 25 seconds of handstand makes the push ups in the DvD tough towards the end.