Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Body aching. Am I being too demanding of it?

Last night I was doing day 2 of week 6.   When I tried doing the reclining backbend over the block (with the strap around the arms), I had a sharp stabbing pain in my right shoulder.  It was the exact same pain I felt when I had a frozen shoulder (about the time of my cancer diagnosis) on my left side.  I worked with it a little, and this morning worked with it.  I will keep going into that position before my workouts and trying to ease my arm through that position until I can work through the issue there.  Yoga gives you such an ability to inspect your body at deep levels that you would never get otherwise.  I think for that alone, it is something that is well worthwhile.  It never ceases to amaze me at how many people of influence talk about how yoga can overstretch you or doesn't provide enough aerobic or strength training, or isn't a decent exercise modality for whatever other reason.  Those reviews are what have kept me from pursuing it for all of these years.  How different my life might have turned out if I'd been where I am today 30 years ago.
 
Doing the week 8 workouts in the evening and the DvD in the morning might be too much for me.  My body is completely worn out.  Everything is tired and aches.  I'm not sure if I should back-off or keep pushing myself at this level until my body is conditioned to tolerate it.  The last thing I want to do is injure myself.  I do love the week 8 evening workout, though, and I love the DvD morning workout.  But they're both long.  Each week 8 lesson is 1 1/2-2 hours, and the Power Yoga DvD is 65 minutes.