Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Question of Yoga and Religion

I've been thinking about the question "Is Yoga a Religion" since I read the article about the school that had issues with yoga being taught because they didn't want some "cult" religion to be taught to the kids.  It took me by surprise.
 
I can't deny, though, that I do feel very spiritual when I do tai chi, or yoga, or even go to holistic practitioners or natural foods stores.  Why?  Because those things make me feel better.  When I feel physically healthy and alive, then my mental outlook changes, and I can't help but have a sense of deep spirituality.  I feel that spirituality in the muscles of my body when I do my yoga stretches, or when I am thinking about my yoga body as I move about my day and check my breathing.
 
I can't tell whether this means that yoga is a religion for me.  Is it the end result that defines a religion or the path towards that end?