Monday, February 23, 2009

I can't go without my morning yoga!

I've spent the past few weeks travelling. When I came, I packed my Power Yoga with Rodney Yee DvD, but didn't know if there was a DvD player here. I also brought my book, "Moving Toward Balance: Yoga in 8 weeks with Rodney Yee". On the first morning away from home, I couldn't find a DvD player, so I decided to try to "wing it" through the DvD by memorization. I was so happy with myself. Having done the DvD every day for the past 6 months or so, I did the entire 65 minute routine by memory.

In the meantime, I did find a DvD player, but I continued to do my morning routine by memorization. Doing the routine without the DvD takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, since I make use of the luxury of getting to spend more time in poses. One of the problems with the DvD is sometimes I reach the point where I think "Yes, I get it!" And my muscles juuuusssttt start to begin relaxing into a pose when Rodney says "come up, right foot back..... blah blah blah" and mentally I think "damn him!" :)

Since leaving home, I realize something new about my yoga. (There is no end to what you're learning about yoga) My morning yoga is like morning coffee is for other people. I watch the people around me racing to the local coffee shop for a coffee and pastry. They say "I can't go without my morning coffee and pastry!" Then they spend the rest of the day talking at a million miles an hour and getting stressed out. My yoga does exactly the same thing to me as coffee and donuts do to them, except I find myself doing a lot more listening throughout my day and a lot less talking, and taking more deep breaths instead of getting stressed out. I can't go without my morning yoga!

The other day I climbed a local mountain. It's a fairly short hike, about 4 miles round trip to the peak and back. I wondered how much I'd be able to do without getting winded, since I haven't been doing much climbing or walking. I found myself reaching the peak before I could even begin to be out of breath. Before I knew it I had made the round trip. If it hadn't been getting dark, I'm tempted to believe I could have done twice the distance. Is it that yoga is aerobic, or is it that yoga makes my body so strong? I haven't yet been able to answer that question.

And now I don't wonder why 1/2 of my suitcase is consumed by my yoga mat, books, DvD, strap, headband, and sweatpants.

I miss home so though.....