Monday, November 24, 2008

Second Thoughts about Continuing with Rodney Yee (and first experience with Kundalini)

I had a heart to heart with myself over the weekend, pondering whether I should quit the Rodney Yee yoga program I've been doing (morning Power Yoga DvD and evening "Moving Towards Balance: 8 weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee").  Part of me is concerned about whether concentrating on just Rodney Yee is compromising the balance in my body's strengthening -- making me strong and flexible in certain ways, and leaving other areas week.  The reason I worry is because of the soreness I feel in my legs, back, and neck, and I found that if I twist my foot inward (instead of outward, which is how it is inclined a large number of the poses), it seems tight.  Still, these are vague issues, not really enough to actually KNOW that bad things are happening.  They could be related to improving and my body's scar tissues breaking up.  After all, I've not been flexible nor had strong core muscles for many many years, I'm guessing as much as 30 years.
 
I bought a Kundalini Yoga DvD  (Kundalini Yoga with Gurmukh) and did it on Sunday morning as a change.  "Shake out the anger!"  I heard her saying that as I desperately threw my body left and right in a frenzy, trying not to collapse from the pain and motion sickness of it all.  If that's what Kundalini Yoga is, it's....  well, different, that's for sure.
 
So....  not being in the mood to shake out my anger for 40 minutes this morning, I went back to my old standby, Power Yoga with Rodney Yee.  I was pleased to feel completely refreshed and rejuvenated and totally rewarded by doing it.
 
I wonder if the second thoughts I had all weekend were just a signal that I'm progressing to the next level in my practice.  hm.