Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm grateful for me

I woke up late this morning and decided to skip my morning power yoga practice.  I think I've done it every day for the past 5 weeks.  It was probably time for a break.  My legs were beginning to feel sore.  So as not to lose the peace and calm of my morning I kept my date with my meditation room and did 13 minutes of meditating.
 
I'm filled with gratitude today.  Gratitude for being given another chance at life after my breast cancer, gratitude for my life and my job, my husband, my dogs, and maybe most importantly gratitude to myself for being who I am.  I spend so much time feeling guilty for appreciating who I am, as though it was somehow making me a selfish, self-indulgent person.  This morning I thought about who I am and what I've done in my life, and the work and persistence I've invested in becoming the person that I am today -- breastless, uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubeless, childless -- yet my life is incredible, and so fantastically much richer than I could ever imagine.  From a childhood with a dictatorial perfectionist for a father through to my cancer, through to everything that's happened since my cancer that has caused my health to slowly decline to the point where, two years ago, I was suffering chronic depression and dysfunction from just about every spot in my body -- I've overcome all those things which wanted so desperately to see me wither away into an insignificant ball of nothing and die.
 
I'm nothing short of an amazing person, and I'm grateful today for me.