Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Watching your breath

This morning, still having sleep issues, I found myself awake at 4:00 and staring at the ceiling.  We have been reorganizing the house in preparation for my mother moving in, and I moved my meditation room to a corner in a cubbyhole in the bedroom.  I got up and sat on my meditation cushion to quiet my mind.  As I sat there, with my mind wandering, I found myself searching for ways to focus and calm it.  I thought about Rodney Yee's Ujagi (sp?) meditations, where you extend your exhales longer and longer, and breathe with ease.

I began to do that a bit, and then gradually allowed myself to stop the instruction of trying to extend the exhale, and I began to just breathe, but keep the same frame of mind where I'm concentrating on my breath.  I was pleased to find myself sinking deeper and deeper, and finally reached that state of clarity that I occasionally reach when I've had a "good" meditation.  I don't know how long I sat there, but eventually I got up and went back to bed.  My dog was waiting for my return, and he snuggled up to me with his head on my chest.  I kept that state of calm and clarity as I lie in bed, and eventually floated into a pleasant slumber with the waterfall-like sounds of a puppy snoring on my chest.  It was quite a beautiful morning.